[Savannah-register-public] [task #5865] Submission of Stylebase

From: Katja Henttonen
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5865] Submission of Stylebase
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:02:18 +0000

Thank you for your reply.

>Firstly, JDOM is released under a license that is incompatible >with the GNU
GPL.

OK. I had previously heard quite a few people claiming that JDOM licence is
compatible with GPL because its "essentially the same as the modified BSD
license". Anyway, in order to avoid any confusion, I did replace JDOM with
XOM, which in licenced under the terms of LGPL.

>Secondly, for you to include mysql-connector along with your >project, this
program must also meet the same requirements for >copyright and free software
statements, etc, just like the rest of >your project. This includes the HTML
documentation for them.

OK. I have added a README file with copyright and free software statements to
into each subdirectory mysql-connector-x.jar.

>My apologies if these were included earlier and I missed them

No problem. They were there before, but just the binary files, no source
code.

I noticed that the source code of MySQL Connector/J include external
libraries with are not compatible with GPL. They propably have a special
permission to do this and I can obviously do nothing about it. So if I am to
include source code of MySQL Connector/J, I am bound to include these
GPL-incompatible libraries too.

For the above mentioned reason, it makes sense to me to distribute both
external libraries ( MySQL Connector/J and XOM) as a binary only. Futhermore,
developpers of our project are very unlikely to want source code of the
external libraries. I added a notice to README file about how to obtain the
source code of the libraries. Is this okey with you?

It would be important for us to distribute both XOM and MySQL Connector/J
with our program, because we want to make client side installations as
effortless as possible.

The modified source code can be find in the same place as before.

Many thanks for your help and patience.