[Savannah-register-public] [task #5859] Submission of PosrScript Generat

From: Diedrich Vorberg
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5859] Submission of PosrScript Generator
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:40:42 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
This project account will remain inactive until a site admin approves or
discards the registration.

== REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION ==

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=8749>

== REGISTRATION DETAILS ==

Full Name:
----------
  *PosrScript Generator*

System Group Name:
-----------------
  *pypsg*

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software &amp; documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

------------
  Psg is a Python module to create PostScript documents which adhere to
Adobe's Document Structuring Conventions from scratch or read them from
complient PostScript files.

- It lets you create PostScript files by embedding EPS files, bitmaps, fonts
and arbitrary subsections from DSC complient input files. This could be used
to re-write the psutils package in Python.
- I do not intend to implement drawing primitives, there are already
libraries that do that very well. However, I plan to create an interface
between psg and pyscript, a PostScript creation module which focuses on
drawing end geometry.
- Text is a different subject, though. A rudimentary layout engine to create
connected text boxes is in place and will be extended in the future. I
envision a subset of XML/CSS. The text functons support Type1 fonts and
dynamically re-encodes them based on unicode(!) input.
- All input/output operation goes through regular Python file objects. (This
may seem an odd thing to mention as a  'feature'. But trust me, it's
special).
- Though PostScript files are generally constructed in memory, all import
operations are 'lazy', that is, input files are analyzed but their content is
only copied over to the outfile in the last step of composition to reduce
memory footprint.
- Psg contains classes to model a PostScript run time environment (namely
Ghostscript). It will contain functionality to use Ghostscript to create PDF
files and bitmap previews (my own use is largely www applications), but also
to import PDF and those PostScript files that make use of all the DSC's
liberties.
- There is no coherent documentation, yet, but the source code is richly and
(I hope) usefully documented.

Every kind of feedback is strongly encouraged!

Diedrich Vorberg <address@hidden>

Other Software Required:
------------------------
  Python 2.3.
pyscript is going to be optional.
Ghostscript is supported through some classes, but not needed.

Other Comments:
  I've tried to follow my other nongnu.org hosted project, orm, in terms of
directory and file layout. Hope that's ok...

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?5859>

  Nachricht geschickt von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/