[Savannah-register-public] [task #5645] Submission of Gnome GDB

From: Sven Herzberg
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5645] Submission of Gnome GDB
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:40:03 +0200

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or
discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=8617>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
  Gnome GDB

System Group Name:
-----------------
  gnome-gdb

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  GNU Lesser General Public License

------------
  Gnome GDB is about developing a new GUI for the GNU Debugger (gdb). It uses
the GDB/MI interface and is supposed to become more a graphical debugger that
a frontend for gdb.

Explanation of the last sentence: I see many GUIs for the GNU debugger (ddd,
xxgdb, etc.) but they all just look like a frontend to the (still very
complex and very powerfull) command line interface of the GNU debugger.

Gnome GDB is supposed to try a different approach: develop a good graphical
user interface for a debugger and then try to implement the necessary
functions using the GDB/MI interface. This might lead to a more intuitive and
appealing user interface for debugging.

To make the application really useful, we're adding features only one at a
time so we can make sure that the current feature fits well into the design
and layout of the application.

Current state:
I've been starting this project some months ago and came up with a working
interface to GDB last week. Right now the application is able to attach to a
process and to step through the instructions while displaying the call stack.
Features that are supposed to be added within the near future will be break
point management and starting applications from the debugger (that's what I
need to find my current bug).

Other Software Required:
------------------------
  This software has got compile-time dependencies on:
glib-2.0
gtk+-2.0
libwnck-1.0

And it has got an additional runtime dependency on:
gdb

Other Comments:
  Source code is available from
http://www.blaubeermuffin.de/stuff/gnome-gdb-0.0.1.tar.gz