[Savannah-register-public] [task #5516] Submission of Networked Interact

From: Scott Peterson
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5516] Submission of Networked Interactive Comprehensive Habitat Evaluator
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 04:30:23 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or
discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/siteadmin/groupedit.php?group_id=8520>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
  Networked Interactive Comprehensive Habitat Evaluator

System Group Name:
-----------------
  niche-uiuc

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

------------
  Networked Interactive Comprehensive Habitat Evaluator:
Find your place in the world
The NICHE tool will put the power of the internet at your fingertips with a
comprehensive data collection service and custom built-in overlays for the
Google Earth map software.

NICHE can be configured to ...

FIND A GOOD NEIGHBORHOOD: search MLS sites in a metropolitan area and
graphically represent the median house prices.
FIND A BETTER-PAYING JOB: poll common employment sites (Monster, Dice, etc.)
and salaries.com to determine openings and compensation statistics.
FIND THE BEST SCHOOLS: cross-reference public and private school rankings
with those in your targetted area.
Have your neighborhood all picked out?
The NICHE tool can tell you how much you can expect to pay for a house,
customized to your needs! This feature uses the same resources (MLS) as the
professionals and automates the process that Real Estate agents use to
determine the value of a house. It's like having a Real Estate agent at your
side 24/7! That's why we call it the Residential Housing Expert Appraiser
(RHEA), as in the mother of all resources.

NICHE is Easy to Use
Log on to our website and start a search today! It's easy! Look;

Choose the search criteria you'd like to apply
Fill out a questionnaire about each criterion
Click "Download my search!" and the website will produce a custom KML file to
load into Google Earth, complete with your search overlays!
Now your ready to leverage the Google Earth client's amazing graphical
rendering capacity to actually SEE your results for yourself. Add multiple
overlays to simultaneously consider which regions meet all your criteria.
Return any time to re-scope your search... Easy!

NICHE is Easy to Extend
Haven't found the search you're looking for? That's no problem, we're
constantly updating NICHE to include new statistics and demographics
packages. And it's so easy to do, you could probably get the neighbor kid
down the street to author a new search criterion for you.

Technically inclined? Advanced users can take advantage of NICHE's
sophisticated AI to not just collect and display data, but to process it
custom to a user's input! Developers can harness the power of the same CBR
engine that runs the RHEA tool to develop customizable searches.

Build a search that shows a user their compensation information all over the
country, based on their PERSONAL job profile.
Create a tool for college-bound seniors to determine what their ideal College
will likely cost them around the state.

Technical Information
NICHE and Supporting Technologies

The NICHE tool will be built on the Google Earth client utilizing Google's
Keyhole Markup Language (KML), which has been called the next logical
progression of the internet. You can find out more about Google Earth and
graphical overlays with KML here;

Google Earth Description
Google Earth Extensions
KML and custom overlays

Google Earth is a client application version of the hugely popular Google
maps, which can automatically tap into Google's fantastic search abilities
and create custom graphical "overlays" of the information a user is
interested in. From the website:

"Want to know more about a specific location? Dive right in -- Google Earth
combines satellite imagery, maps and the power of Google Search to put the
world's geographic information at your fingertips."

The Keyhole Markup Language is Google's custom XML schema that standardizes
communication with the client. KML is a way for advanced users to extend the
already robust feature set of Google Earth to include graphical information
of any kind. The representation set includes ground overlays, paths,
polygons, etc. Additionally, CGI scripting can automate the delivery of KML
to the Google Earth client, making it possible to create websites that
provide any information concievable upon request.

Residential Housing Expert Appraiser (RHEA)

A state-of-the-art Artificial Intelligence called a Case-Based Reasoning
(CBR) system will form the backbone of the appraisal system, which leverages
years of research into Expert Systems at top universities to accurately
predict the amount you can expect to pay for a home, WITHOUT THE NEED FOR A
REAL ESTATE AGENT. Using NICHE information gathering algorithms, a "Case
Base" will be constructed of your chosen geographical area, similar to the
type of knowledge that takes Agents in the area years of experience to
accumulate, all at the touch of a button. Then, just supply your housing
requirements and select a neighborhood, RHEA will respond with a price range
for that house in that location... SIMPLE!

Having Trouble Deciding?
Look, the information is out there, all you need is a way to HARNESS IT. The
NICHE tool featuring RHEA will provide that power. With multiple overlays
available simultaneously, you can cross-reference pertinent information to
find the best comprimise between competing factors, like;

Salary vs. Housing cost
Commute time vs. Recreation locations
The list goes on and on. Why? Because we offer custom service plans to meet
YOUR specific needs. What would you expect to pay to save countless hours in
web surfing time to find your ideal niche? A $100 subscription? That's what
some of our competitors would expect you to pay. Speaking of our competitors,
let's take a look what's out there today;
Sperling's Best Places will give you free information, but they don't have
the visualization tools and customization AI that NICHE brings to the the
table.
MLS.com will give you bare-bones house listings, but you have to pay
outrageous sums of money to get details or to overlay the listings on a wimpy
map based on dated technology. With Google's pioneering AJAX framework, the
NICHE site can respond to you in REAL TIME, without a page refresh!
Salary.com can produce some general statistics on your broad job category,
but it can't analyze EXACTLY what you do and how much it's worth by
comparison with THOUSANDS of real job listings. Only NICHE has that power.
All-in-all, there is NOTHING that comes close rivaling NICHE in power and
versatility. With that kind of horse-power, you might expect to shell out.
Here's even more good news:

It's Free
Imagine a world where everyone finds where they fit in. NICHE can make it
possible.

Our source code is not currently hosted on any public server.  This is one
thing we hope to change by making use of Savannah's hosting services.

An alpha version of our software is located at
http://niche.abovethelimit.com:8080/NICHE/index.jsp

Other Software Required:
  JDBC
JAXB
Apache Tomcat Web Server

Other Comments:
  We can email our source code if needed.  Please send a request to
address@hidden if this is the case.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=5516>