[Savannah-register-public] [task #5070] Submission of Distributed Simula

From: Charles Shuller
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #5070] Submission of Distributed Simulation Enviornment
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 20:55:26 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or
discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=8211>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
  Distributed Simulation Enviornment

System Group Name:
-----------------
  distsim

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software & documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

------------
  distSim is a research project to construct a general purpose
distributed simulation environment.  Attempting to answer the
question, "How to quickly and cost effectively, create an accurate
simulation if you aren't a programmer."  Specifically, we have
biologists in mind for an early target audience.  Please note, we are
in the early stages of design, and some of the project specific
terminology is not yet finalized.

The simulation consists of an environment, and models.  Models exist
in the environment.  The environment provides rules for how the models
co-exist, and a customizable ruleset.  The environment will provide
for things like the gravitational constant, ambient air temperature,
etc....  Essentially, anything which affects all the models in a
geographic area.

Models are what need to get written for a new simulation.  The
programmer will need to become familiar with the model API only.  We
intend to ultimately provide bindings for several languages, but will
start with C and C++.  The biologists will interact with a library of
already developed models when the software is mature.

Parallelism will principally be provided by assigning 'geographic'
boundaries, which overlap with network boundaries.  That is to say,
within the simulation tile sets A and B are congruent, but exist on
separate machines.  How these to sets interact will likely be the
topic of our first paper, but the biologists probably won't care.

The project will use OpenMPI <a
href="http://www.open-mpi.org/papers/euro-pvmmpi-2004-overview/";>http://www.open-mpi.org/papers/euro-pvmmpi-2004-overview/</a>
to provide the parallel execution framework, and GNOME for the GUI
components.  We will use the GNU autotools for the build
system, and distribute source tarballs.

Currently there is no source.  We have the presentation PDF and
an informal paper/collection-of-notes we would be happy to share if
you would like to see them.  Our team will primarily work from
separate machines at home, especially over the break, and savannah
would greatly facilitate that, even at this stage when we are producing
documents to guide development.

Other Software Required:
  OpenMPI http://www.open-mpi.org/papers/euro-pvmmpi-2004-overview/
GNU Autotools