[Savannah-register-public] [task #4740] Submission of kafeine

From: Sebastian Wieseler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4740] Submission of kafeine
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:02:49 +0000

Hello...

that's a little bit difficult.
At first, Flash is a non-free format (even if there exist free
implementations of Flash, it was original non-free).

At second, Macromedia's implementation of Flash and "macromedia flash" are
both non-free. The program from Macromedia is even proprietary.

And you are not allowed to link a GNU program against proprietary (or
non-free) libraries or programs.

I don't need to discuss here if a BSD/LGPL license could solve this issue,
because the policy of Savannah doesn't allow you that the user needs to
install proprietary software to run your program.

And please notice that the Macromedia Flash isn't present on a GNU/Linux
system. And the "free formats" of Flash are not as complete as the
implementation from Macromedia.

So all in all, don't use Flash in your program.
Hopefully I could help you a little bit. Let me know, if there still exists
any questions.

Regards,

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4740>