[Savannah-register-public] [task #4843] Submission of BadTransit

From: Tony Wieczorek
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4843] Submission of BadTransit
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:00:46 -0500

Updated description:

This is a project to automatically report any MBTA ("T") failures to a set of
people who wish to be notified. It will use the statistics provided on the T's
website, but it is not at all associated with the MBTA.

The scripts will be written in PHP with a MySQL connection to store the
information about transit updates. The software does not depend on other
software, but it is hoped that it will be integrated with content management
systems in the future (this is not a requirement, however). There are no
other dependencies for the scripts.

This is a project that has grown out of the frustration experienced by the
editors of BadTransit.com. It is a public advocacy website aimed at bringing
down the corruption and waste of the T administration. By leveraging the
power of the Internet, we hope to make more people aware that if we hold the
T accountable, we can change the way they mismanage things.

Here's the website to the scripts as they currently stand:
http://wdigitaldesigns.com/badtransit/scripts/failure-check.php

This project will consist mostly of a set of scripts that work together to
email people about failures, keep track of failures as reported by the MBTA,
parse websites, and so on. The hope is to be able to provide these scripts as
integration into a larger content management system (such as
CivicSpace/Drupal) so that other transit systems around the country can use
the same software.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4843>