[Savannah-register-public] [task #4731] Submission of classroomutilities

From: John Slayton
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4731] Submission of classroomutilities
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 04:13:21 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Open/Closed: Open
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

A new project has been registered at Savannah
The project account will remain inactive until a site admin approve or
discard the registration.

######### REGISTRATION ADMINISTRATION #########

While this item will be useful to track the registration process, approving
or discarding the registration must be done using the specific "Group
Administration" page, accessible only to site administrators, effectively
logged as site administrators (superuser):

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/admin/groupedit.php?group_id=8017>

######### REGISTRATION DETAILS #########

Full Name:
----------
  classroomutilities

System Group Name:
-----------------
  classset

Type:
-----
  non-GNU software &amp; documentation

License:
--------
  GNU General Public License V2 or later

------------
  CLASSROOM UTILITIES
     A collection of short programs nominally formatted as games, but really
designed to reinforce specific points of instruction that an elementary
teacher has previously given.  The idea is to have 5 or 6 of these
continuously running on different virtual teminals for the use of any student
who has a few minutes of time to spare.
     I wrote several such programs a few years ago,using the vga and vgagl
libraries.  I have rewritten 3 of these in ncurses:  check.it.out,
more.or.less,  and name.number.  I would consider these to be early beta.  I
can send these to you via e-mail, or you should be able to access them with
an FTP program using hostname ftp.dialupforles.com, username juanslayton,
password diogeneS.  Sorry, I haven't got the regular URL working at this
point.  Both source and binary files are in the folder www.
     Probably the most useful programs I have ever used are variants of
check.it.out.  They allow students to check written computation problems  for
algorithmic errors (forgetting to carry or borrow, subtracting the top number
from the bottom, etc.) It never gives the student the right answer, but the
immediate feedback is highly motivating for some students.
     more.or.less has two kinds of exercise:  using <, >, or = to compare two
numbers, and ordering four numbers from smallest to greatest.
     name.number presents spelled-out numbers up to 9999.  The student
converts these to standard notation.
     A fourth program, say.when, is still in vga.  It is in some ways more
interesting because of its use of graphics.  It is a clock reading/setting
program that is functionally similar to Hartley's "Clock."  Use the cursor
key block to move the hands left or right.
     I have not yet updated the source code licensing other than to change
the FSF address.

John Slayton
260 Sundance Ct
Azusa CA 91702