[Savannah-register-public] [task #4722] Submission of JircB (Java IRC Bo

From: Sebastian Wieseler
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #4722] Submission of JircB (Java IRC Bot)
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 21:39:02 +0000

             Assigned to:                    None => kickino

Follow-up Comment #1:

Hi,

At first, log4j was released under the "Apache Software License, version
2.0", which is incompatible with the GNU GPL.

Our licensing team wrote about this license:
"This is a free software license but it is incompatible with the GPL. The
Apache Software License is incompatible with the GPL because it has a
specific requirement that is not in the GPL: it has certain patent
termination cases that the GPL does not require. (We don't think those patent
termination cases are inherently a bad idea, but nonetheless they are
incompatible with the GNU GPL.)"

So you cannot link your program against the log4j pakage.

Can you please switch in the planning phase to another (GPL compatible)
dependence, or changing your license?

At second, you must determine whether your project can run on a Free Software
Java suite
(see http://www.gnu.org/software/java/ for more information).

We recommend you to test your project using GCJ and GNU Classpath, and
ensure
that your Java code runs on this Free Software Java suite.

GCJ is the GNU Compiler for Java, part of the GCC (GNU Compiler Collection).
The Classpath project aims to develop a free and portable implementation of
the Java API
(the classes in the 'java' package).

More information is available at http://gcc.gnu.org/ and
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath/ .

Please provide us with more information about this point.

At third, we would like to review your source code. How do you want to use
Savannah while you haven't got any? Can we skip this registration for now and
you try again later (with any source code, and the points mentioned above)?

Regards,

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?func=detailitem&item_id=4722>