savannah-hackers

[sr #110614] auctex-diffs emails should be in the same format as emacs-d

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110614] auctex-diffs emails should be in the same format as emacs-diffs
Date: Sat, 7 May 2022 01:44:41 -0400 (EDT)

The Subject tag was turned on over on lists.gnu.org in the mailing
list configuration.  I turned it off.  And actually it needs to be
turned off or it will break DKIM signatures.

The From address I went ahead and unset so the original author's from
address will be used but note that this causes problems depending upon
the SPF, DKIM, and DMARC settings of the sender.  If the sender has a
strict DMARC setting such as Zoho does then this will cause the mail
to be rejected by many email service providers such as Yahoo and
sometimes Google.  This is exactly the same issue as you see where the
mailing list now says Some User via themailinglist now.  That's a
mitigation for this problem.

Note that I did make the requested change.  If it is working for Emacs
then who am I to argue.  But the reason that setting got put in there
was because of a problem elsewhere.  I initially cloned it without
thinking too much about it.  Honestly it has been a year since I have
thought about this aspect of the problem and need to work through it
from the fundamentals up to the top again.

The specific problem is that the the commit diffs are being generated
on the Savannah server and are spoofing the From address of the
committer.  If that is allowed then it works.  If that is not allowed
then mail is rejected.  And perhaps surprisingly it is not the
committer that is unsubscribed but the sites that respect the
commiter's declared settings because they reject the mailing list mail
and eventually Mailman will unsubscribe them due to too many rejects.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110614>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/