savannah-hackers

Re: [sr #110479] Two different archives for the same mailing list

From: T. E. Kalayci
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 08:33:53 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Amin,

Problem was the following:

> At 30 April 2021, a member at www-tr communication list [1] had an incident,
> they forwarded a welcome mail to the list itself [2]. And unfortunately
> password is visible in this email. I asked the following questions to the
> mailman@gnu.org regarding this incident:
>
> - Is it possible to delete this email [2] from list archive? (I currently
> made the archive private)
>
> - Is it possible to hide such information in case of replied/forwarded? (I
> put a warning to the beginning of e-mails containing passwords in the
> templates)

> [2] > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/www-tr-comm/2021-04/msg00012.html

I received a response suggesting that "just changing the password for that user
and then the
mail being in the archive wouldn't hurt anything" (but without mentioning the
possibility of deleting message). So, making the archive private was a
temporary solution to give some time to the user in case that they are using
the same password in other services.

Now I changed the settings back to the public, is it possible merge private
archive to the public archive?

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best regards,
Emre