savannah-hackers

Re: Subprojects in Savannah

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Subprojects in Savannah
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 17:49:28 -0600

Luis Falcon wrote:
> The GNU Health project has different components that would need their
> own repository, releases, bugs...

Does Mercurial handle subdirectories in the repository?  If so then
it would be easy to set up sub-projects in the hg repository as a
subdirectory.  If this is something that we would simply need to
experiment with to try then we could try it.

For releases I assume you mean on download?  Or elsewhere?  Because I
note that the download directory for GNU health is empty currently.
But subdirectories are okay there too.

    https://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/health/

For the Savannah web UI tracker I will defer to Ineiev as I do not
know very much about the capabilities there.

And there is always the ability to simply use namespacing to create
logical sub-projects too.  health-thalamus, health-mygnuhealth, for
examples.

> This is something we'll been trying to achieve in Savannah for a while.
> Andrew Engelbrecht suggest me to ask it here.

At the moment subprojects are a manual creation.  For example for a
git project this is documented here.

    https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/Git/

It is intended for large subprojects where there might be a handful.
It isn't intended for an open ended number of projects, say for
example, like Emacs ELPA.

> So, the GNU Health project has today 4 subprojects:
>
> 1) GNU Health HMIS
> 2) Thalamus
> 3) Federation Portal
> 4) MyGNUHealth
>
> Is that feasible in the current infrastructure?

For the Savannah web UI bug tracker we need Ineiev to join the
conversation as I know very little about it.

Bob