savannah-hackers

[sr #110333] Add instructions for setting notifications

From: Tristan Miller
Subject: [sr #110333] Add instructions for setting notifications
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 03:34:56 -0400 (EDT)

             Assigned to: None
        Originator Email:
        Operating System: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

The "Set Notifications" page of a given project contains various fields but no
indication as to what they are for or what values they expect.  I couldn't
find this information in the documentation either.  Even if I have overlooked
the documentation (in which case, please point it out to me), I suggest that
the actual notification page be improved as follows:

1. The page has several <h2> headings of the form "XXX Email Notification
Settings", each followed by a text field and a checkbox.  By default the field
seems to be populated with a username.  I assume that this is a list of
usernames that receive notifications for the particular feature, though I
shouldn't _have_ to make this assumption.  Perhaps the headings should be
changed so that they explicitly state the purpose of the field (e.g., "Users
Receiving XXX Notifications").

2. For these same "Notification Settings" fields, there is no indication of
the field format.  Is it even possible to have more than one username there?
If so, what is the delimiter?  This should be documented near the field itself
(e.g., "Separate multiple usernames with commas.")  If it's not possible to
add or change a username (other than one's own), then why use an input field
at all?

3. For these same "Notification Settings" fields, what is the checkbox for?
Does this turn notifications on and off for all the users? If so, this should
be documented on this page by adding a label next to the checkbox (e.g.,
"Notifications enabled") and/or by adding a tooltip to it.

4. The page contains several <h2> headings titled "Private items exclude
list".  Why do all these headings have exactly the same name?  If each of them
is specific to a feature, then this should be part of the title: "Task Tracker
Private Items Exclude List", etc.  Alternatively, there could be a single <h2>
heading naming each feature (e.g., "Task Tracker Settings"), and then generic
<h3> below it (e.g., "Users Receiving Notifications", "Private Items Exclude
List").

5. These "Private items exclude list" all contain an input field.  What is it
for?  Also usernames?  If so, the same UI/documentation improvements described
above should be applied to it.

6. The page contains a "Reminders" heading with the text, "You can configure
the project so that reminder emails get sent to project members who have
opened items with priority higher than 5 assigned to them."  But the text
never explains _how_ or _where_ the user can configure the project this way.
Is the "Frequency of reminders" setting meant to be this configuration
setting?  If so, then the text should be changed to "Here you can configure
the project..."

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110333>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/