savannah-hackers

[sr #110321] Non-fast-forward push to GNU Zile master

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [sr #110321] Non-fast-forward push to GNU Zile master
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 20:24:22 -0400 (EDT)

Update of sr #110321 (project administration):

             Assigned to:                    None => rwp

Follow-up Comment #1:

For clarity of understanding I will log that I am seeing this:

* 9818d926 (vala) Rewrite Zile in Vala (WIP)
* 7aaf8f7d (HEAD -> master) Revert "Rewrite Zile in Vala (WIP)" (pushed to
master by mistake)
* eccad8c4 Rewrite Zile in Vala (WIP)
* 43037194 Use ASAN instead of Valgrind for memory checks
* ead4b47e tests: make Emacs tests optional (`make check-emacs`) (fix #49378)

Normally the policy is not to allow non-fastforward commits.  See the
"Non-Fast-Forward commits" discussion in this
https://savannah.nongnu.org/maintenance/UsingGit/ reference.  The primary
reason being that we are directed not to allow removing source that has
already been released with a free license.  Sometimes people release a project
and then want convert it to a propriety license and therefore try to remove or
hide the previously released free software versions.  That's the primary
reasoning.  And the secondary reasoning is that non-fastforward commits break
downstream copies that can no longer pull down updates.

I can see that this will not violate the primary reason.  I advise against it
but I will let you deal with any problems from the secondary reason.

I have reset your master commit to the commit prior to the mistakenly pushed
one.  Let me know if that solves the problems you had with your master branch.
 I think things are as you have asked them to be.

I see that because of this you have needed to dance around the problem in your
vala branch.  Let me know if you need anything done there.  I'll keep this
ticket open until you let me know if there is more to do there or not.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/support/?110321>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/