Re: [Savannah-dev] Re: Forums in savannah

From: Derek FEICHTINGER
Subject: Re: [Savannah-dev] Re: Forums in savannah
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:59:09 +0200

Hi, Marcus

> > > Basically we've enhanced the "monitor forum" feature in the forums.
> > > Monitoring people now receive emails with a reasonable FROM (=REPLY-TO)
> > > (=gp_<project>_<forum>@gridportal.fzk.de and a subject like
> > > "[forum_name] <orig-subject> #<checksum/threadnum>". Replies to that
> > > address will be inserted into the thread in the forum and mailed to the
> > > monitoring-people-list.

This sounds very useful. It would be nice if one could extend the feature to
the bug tracker. I assume that the checksum is used to confirm the identity
of the user? In case of the bug tracker this could probably also involve
defining some tokens allowing changing bug field values.

> For us at FZK I foresee some trouble, since you seem to have changed the
> directory structure.

We now have the same problem. It will take quite some work to merge the CERN
version with the present GNU Savannah code base. Since CVS has no real notion
of directories and file locations, this comes back to first rearranging our
CVS repository structure by hand to match the GNU Savannah structure. If one
wants to retain the ability of checking out old working versions, one had
best start a completely new CVS module for the new code base.

> Also we have checked everything into our own
> Repository. In this context Derek's suggestion sounds interesting. Most
> probably I should be more familiar with chapter 13 of Cederqvists CVS
> manual. Sounds as if it contains the key to merging back in our
> "branch-in-a-different-cvs".

It's a good way of handling third party sources, although in your local
repository you loose their CVS meta data (commit messages and tags).
Unfortunately it only works well if they retain the same directory structure.

In the present case it can only be done after adjusting the directory
structure.

Cheers,
Derek

--
Dr. Derek Feichtinger                   Tel:   +41 22 767 26 98
LCG/SPI Group                           email: address@hidden