[Savannah-dev] New Bug Tracker in preparation

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: [Savannah-dev] New Bug Tracker in preparation
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 10:05:31 +0200

Guys,

For your information I'm in the process of delivering a new major release of the CodeX bug tracking system to Xerox and I'm also keeping the Savannah Bug Tracking System aligned. So expect a new release of the BTS in the course of next week.

In the mean time I'd appreciate if you could keep me aware of any changes you are thinking of doing in the source code of the bug tracker (if any) and see if it can be postponed by a week or two just to avoid merge operation with my own big changes. Keep me posted in any case.

For those of you who are curious to know what will be in the new version here is a short description:

- 3 new fields were added to the bug tracking system: Originator Name, Email and Phone. However there is no specific action taken on the Originator email. We have put in place a separate CC list in the bug form
(Bug Admin -> Field Usage)

- A list of new custom fields have been added to the Bug tracker: you have a set of 10 text areas, 10 text fields, 10 date fields and 10 select boxes that you can fully customize including the label, the size...
(Bug Admin -> Field Usage)

- The bug modification form has a new section called CC list which allows the bug technicians to add any email address or any CodeX user in the list of person notified on bug updates. (if you want the originator to be notified you'll have to include it in the CC list explicitely)

- Each CodeX user can now customize the kind of events she wants to be notified whenever a bug is updated. This can dependent on the nature of the change but also on the role you play for a given bug (assignee, submitter, CC list member, Commenter). This makes it very flexible
(Bug Admin -> Notification Settings)

- A user can also ask to receive the notifications sent to other users (very useful when sbdy is acting as a backup of a team member who is away from the office)
(Bug Admin -> Notification Settings)

Laurent

PS: the enhancement in the notification part are largely inspired by Bugzilla.

--
Laurent JULLIARD - Xerox R&T/SSTC/XPA - Open Source team