[Savannah-dev] [Bug #491] notification should be able to include an atta

From: nobody
Subject: [Savannah-dev] [Bug #491] notification should be able to include an attached file
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 07:51:26 -0400

=================== Bug #491: Latest Modifications ==================
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=491&group_id=11

Changes by: Laurent Julliard <address@hidden>
Date: 2002-May-29 13:51 (Europe/Paris)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
              Effort | 0.00                      | 1.00

I'm already in the middle of changing the email notification to include URL to
file attachments. I will commit these changes today probably.

Including the content of the file attachment in the email itself would require
more work and I must give it some more thoughts. So don't hold your breath :-)

=================== Bug #491: Full Bug Snapshot ===================

Submitted by: okuji                     Project: Savannah
Submitted on: 2002-May-29 01:30
Category:  Bug Tracker                  Severity:  1 - Enhancement

Original Submission:  This is not a bug, but a feature request.

We will use the BTS as an alternative to the Patch Manager,
and we have customized the BTS so that the notification
messages are sent to our discussion list. This is convenient
for us, because we can discuss both bugs and patches
simultaneously, using e-mail.

But we found a problem that the BTS didn't make an attached
file included in the notification message. This is
unfortune, because this nullifies the advatanage of e-mail,
namely, the easiness of citation. We sometimes want to
comment on some parts of a patch, but it would be a pain
to download a file, cut and paste the contents, and
edit it.

So I think it would be useful to have an option to
enable/disable a feature to make an attached file
included.

Thanks,
Okuji

Follow-up Comments
*******************

Date: 2002-May-29 12:53             By: okuji
I think it would be better if the URL is included, but
not very ideal.

As we don't want to receive too big mail anyway, I think
this kind of scenaria would suffice:

if (the format of an attachment is plain-text) and
   (the size of the attachment is less than a limit):
  put the whole attachment in a notification
else
  put a URL pointing to the attachment in a notification
end

To check if it is plain-text, it should be enough to
check if it doesn't contain any non-printable character.
And, the limit should be configurable.

If you don't think this is feasible, I would be contented
with your idea somehow, or we would decide not to use the
BTS as a patch manager.

Thanks,
Okuji

Date: 2002-May-29 11:00             By: ljulliar
I feel like attaching the content of the bug attachement to the email message
is going to be a source of troubles and headaches. Here is why:

- Attachement can be if any nature. Yours are likely to be source code (text)
but it can virtually be any mime type which means I have to modify the email
generation in our PHP scripts to generate MIME compliant emails

- Attachment can virtually be of any size and I'd like the email notification
to remain as compact as possible.

So at this point I have a suggestion: would it be ok to include a URL pointing
directly to the attachement in the email message? (Right now the bug snapshot
does not even list existing attachements - only bug updates do)

For detailed info, follow this link:
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=491&group_id=11