samizdat-devel

Re: New snapshot: optional RDF subqueries, improved pagination, 0.6.1 RC

From: Dmitry Borodaenko
Subject: Re: New snapshot: optional RDF subqueries, improved pagination, 0.6.1 RC1
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 03:00:50 +0200

On Feb 17, 2008 2:32 AM, boud <address@hidden> wrote:
> crosslink to patch 5882 =
> bug-fix: separate_translation patch 0.4.2 (vs samizdat-0.6.0.070618-1)
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?21319
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?5882

The only reason I can imagine to have both a bug and a patch open is
if the patch fixes several different existing bugs with the same code
(as in, fixes can't be isolated). Why open a bug that merely points to
an existing patch?

I have reviewed the patch #5882 (separate translations 0.4.2), it's
not suitable for merging in: code duplication is never good, and this
patch introduces identical changes to a whole lot of different places.
The patch also appears to fix several unrelated issues in one go.

The best way when submitting patches is to have a separate patch for
each bug and feature. This way, even if some changes are
controversial, other fixes will still have a chance to get in. Second
best way (especially when you know yourself that your changes are
controversial) is to clearly describe what is wrong and how you want
it fixed, so that I can implement a fix myself.

Just looking at the code of the fix doesn't help me understand the
problem, and comments on the patch don't help much, either. Please
provide use case scenarios that would demonstrate the bug and say what
you see and what you expect to see instead.

> locale2lang-0.1 - BUG + fix: fallback to language_only extracted from
> Accept-Language http header is needed
> https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?20932
>
> should probably be easy and safe.

This one looks good, I'll try to do something about it.

--
Dmitry Borodaenko