samizdat-devel

Re: patch for 0.6.0.20070501-2:frontpage_controller

From: Dmitry Borodaenko
Subject: Re: patch for 0.6.0.20070501-2:frontpage_controller
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 13:36:07 +0100

On 5/2/07, boud <address@hidden> wrote:
i see that the restructuring has been quite deep :) but that from a
naive user point of view, nothing much obvious has changed (which is
good), apart from the missing choice of changing languages. i've only
had a quick look so far, though.

Well spotted, let us know if find that anything else that has gone
missing, the refactoring was intended to only change code structure,
not functionality.

Ah yes, my subjective impression agrees with the benchmarks: frontpage
reloading does seem to be faster now.

I think it must be a more efficent use of cache, most likely around
ResourceComponent classes. Finer-grained cache locking can also
attribute to this somewhat.

(1) COMMENT:

After updating with
   aptitude update && aptitude upgrade
adding the template section to defaults.yaml as recommended, i got in my
browser:
   Forbidden

So i read
   NEWS.Debian.gz
and updated my apache config + database - relatively straightforward.
This got things looking reasonably normal.

i don't know whether the debian standard expects this sort of update
caveat to be given as a warning to the sysadmin running aptitude or
whether the sysadmin is expected to read obvious files in
/usr/share/doc/<packet>/  when a problem occurs.

The approach varies between packages and maintainers, personally I
don't like auto-generated config files very much and I prefer to leave
the updating to the sysadmin unless I can be 100% sure that the
automated way will always work. And yes, you are supposed to read
NEWS.Debian when upgrading a package, even if it doesn't break
immediately after upgrade.

(2) PATCH for frontpage_controller:

BUG: language_list was missing :(((, and language_list gave an old style
URL member.rb?set_lang= which fails

FIX:
* add language_list
* change from old style URL to new style URL

Thanks, this is definitely a bug, I've merged in your fix and will
upload a new snapshot later today (I want to trace down and fix a
weird bug in message moderation first).

--
Dmitry Borodaenko