samizdat-devel

Re: Status of project?

From: David Christie
Subject: Re: Status of project?
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 12:59:59 -0400

On Friday, September 01, 2006 7:45 PM, "boud" <address@hidden> wrote:

There's also http://www.samizdat.net/ which has been running as a
French-language alternative press for many years. It has no relation
to the samizdat software package.

I've noticed them, but I don't read French, so I'm not familiar with their content. Do you know if they are an ISP or what? There seem to be quite a few email addresses in that domain, because at samizdat.org I get occasional accidentally mis-directed email to random people.

www.samizdat.com is a small husband-and-wife consultancy (east coast USA). None of these domains are in any way related to www.samizdat.org. In fact I do not have a www.samizdat.org web site up yet, though I have owned that domain since sometime in the 1990's and have long been planning to use it in connection with an eventual open source release. It's just coincidence that www.nongnu.org/samizdat and www.samizdat.org both are RDF-related projects. I'm still not sure what I should do about the name collision.

BTW: this nongnu project is not just open source - it's free software, protected under the GPL.

Yes, I know. I noticed its license is "GPL 2.0 or any later version."

Have you followed the development of GPL 3.0 (due to be finalized soon - see http://gplv3.fsf.org/)? I am considering GPL 3.0 for my upcoming software release, with an "Affero-GPL-like" clause which extends source code access (copyleft) to network users. That sort of clause, permitted under GPL 3.0 but not 2.0, would close what I call the "google loophole", in which it is legal to use GPL'ed software to run a giant commercial web site, even after mixing the code with your own proprietary code, without having to release _any_ of the derived work's source code to users of the site (because you are not "distributing" the code, just "using" it). The "Affero" clause requires you to distribute your complete source code by HTTP download to any network user who wants it -- all of it of course, including your modifications and additions.

GPL 3.0 has other improvements, as well, which help further protect open source code against nefarious means of "taking it private". I think it's a substantial improvement, helping to preserve the rights of both users and developers.

Cheers

-dc