samizdat-devel

Re: Samizdat (Was: Re: (en) imc belarus - how's it going?)

From: Dmitri Borodaenko
Subject: Re: Samizdat (Was: Re: (en) imc belarus - how's it going?)
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 13:43:36 +0300

On 5/20/05, boud <address@hidden> wrote:
> > It runs best on Debian since that is the OS I'm using (I'm also a DD),
> cool :)  DD = debian developer?

Yes.

> does that mean you plan to get this
> into testing so that it eventually gets into stable (in 2-3 years)?

I have a package in the works, but it's still not ready, and I
definitely won't disturb sarge. For sarge+1, sure thing. And I will
make sure the package fits into sarge with no surgery (I've already
backported most of the dependencies to woody anyway :).

> debian-sarge :)

Excellent :)

Use this shapshot:

http://docs.indymedia.org/twiki/pub/Devel/SamizdatEngine/samizdat-snapshot.tar.gz

I update it with every public check-in, and my commits to Savannah are
usually stable (I use Monotone for finer-grained version control on my
machine).

Take a look at Apache config snippet to be generated the future Debian package:

# angdraug: Samizdat Demo

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName samizdat
    ServerPath /samizdat
    ServerAdmin address@hidden
    CustomLog /var/log/apache/samizdat/access.log noip
    ErrorLog /var/log/apache/samizdat/error.log

    DocumentRoot /var/www/samizdat
    <Directory /var/www/samizdat>
        Options None
        AllowOverride None
        <Files config.yaml>
            Order allow,deny
            Deny from all
        </Files>
    </Directory>

    DirectoryIndex index.rb
    AliasMatch
^/(foci|history|index|item|login|logout|member|message|moderation|pingback|query|resource)\.rb
/usr/lib/cgi-bin/samizdat/$1.rb
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^/([0-9]+)$ /resource.rb?id=$1 [PT]

    <IfModule mod_ruby.c>
       RubyRequire apache/ruby-run
    </IfModule>

    <Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin/samizdat>
        Options ExecCGI
#        SetEnv SAMIZDAT_DRB druby://localhost:9000
        SetEnv SAMIZDAT_BASE /var/www/samizdat
        <Files *.rb>
            SetHandler cgi-script
#            <IfModule mod_fastcgi.c>
#                SetHandler fastcgi-script
#            </IfModule>
            <IfModule mod_ruby.c>
                SetHandler ruby-object
                RubyHandler Apache::RubyRun.instance
            </IfModule>
        </Files>
        <Files pingback.rb>
            SetHandler cgi-script
        </Files>
        <LimitExcept GET POST>
            Order deny,allow
            Deny from all
        </LimitExcept>
    </Directory>

    Alias /css/ /usr/share/samizdat/css/

    Alias /content/ /var/www/samizdat/content/
    <Directory /var/www/imc-by/content>
        Options Indexes
        <Files *.rb>
            Order deny,allow
            Deny from all
        </Files>
        <LimitExcept GET>
            Order deny,allow
            Deny from all
        </LimitExcept>
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

I hope you can figure out how to lay out files in the filesystem to
make use of this configuration (less obvious things: cp -r samizdat*
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/; cp xhtml.yaml /usr/share/samizdat/). It's a bit
more trouble to set up (and doesn't work with FastCGI yet), but it's
obviously more secure and flexible than just unpacking the source into
/var/www as the current install.txt suggests.

--
Dmitry Borodaenko