reproduce-devel

[task #15745] Automatically check if non-C compilers exist

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15745] Automatically check if non-C compilers exist
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2020 13:55:15 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

While building GCC, we also build some other compilers besides the C compiler
that we have found are necessary for some high-level software. Currently GCC
also builds a C++, Fortran, Objective-C and Objective-C++.

So when Maneage doesn't build GCC itself and relies on the host's compiler, if
these compilers don't exist the configuration will fail in the middle and can
be very annoying (as reported in bug #58917).

But the manual solution there is really not scalable and can itself cause bugs
and annoying situations (for example if a project author forgets to set
'need_gfortran'!).

So we should define a way to use the software building Makefiles to see if
special compilers are necessary. This is what occurs to me right now:

For those packages that need non C/C++ compilers, we can add a special
prerequisite for that compiler that is also defined during the building of
GCC. In this way, with a '--dry-run' run of the 'high-level.mk', we should be
able to see if certain compilers are necessary.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15745>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/