reproduce-devel

[task #15390] Installing GNU C Library within project

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #15390] Installing GNU C Library within project
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 07:54:19 -0500 (EST)

Update of task #15390 (project reproduce):

        Percent Complete:                     70% => 80%

Follow-up Comment #5:

Thanks to the wonderful guidelines of Linux from scratch
<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/> (LFS), I made some good progress in this
task in the last few days (in my fork's glibc
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/reproducible-paper/commits/glibc> branch). It
now builds a temporary GNU Binutils, GNU GCC, and GNU C Library with
fixed/known versions.

It wasn't as easy as just copying and pasting from LFS because LFS assumes
root privileges and in some parts this caused problems for our scenario. But I
am happy that we can now build programs were we even control the C library.
For example see this (checking the linked libraries with a tiny "hello world"
program (notice how `libc.6.so' and `ld-linux-x86-64.so.2' are in the
template's build directory, not the host system's):

$ ldd a.out
        linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007ffd9a3be000)
        libc.so.6 =>
/template/build/dir/software/installed-round-2/lib/libc.so.6
(0x00007fda87f2a000)

/template/build/dir/software/installed-round-2/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
(0x00007fda880ea000)

But the job is not finshed yet! Because the currently built GCC was built
before GNU C Library, so it still needs the host's C library. We should now
build a new GCC and GNU Binutils from the template's C library so they can be
fully independent of the host system.

The last commit
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/reproducible-paper/commit/8340ca> so far in my
`glibc' branch now goes all the way to the second GNU Binutils build and was
tested on three different GNU/Linux systems (two of them large/remote
computers) and works perfectly on all three.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15390>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/