[rdiff-backup-users] Backing up windows to raspberry pi

From: Dean Rettig
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Backing up windows to raspberry pi
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 18:38:03 -0400

Hello,

I am a long time windows / C# developer and recently became interested in
using a Raspberry Pi as a network backup server for my home network.  I
have been trying for 5 months to backup my Windows computers to the RPi
using rdiff-backup and I am at my wit's end.

I have installed v1.2.8 on the RPi (server) and on the windows machine
(client).
I can successfully SSH from client to server using private/public key. But
when I run the rdiff-backup command:

*rdiff-backup -v9 C:\Users\retti\Desktop\4H bu@backuppi::/home/bu/drive/4H*

I get the error:

*Couldn't start up the remote connection by executing    ssh -C bu@backuppi
rdiff-backup --server*

So I type in the command manually and it looks like it connects
successfully - I guess.  At least I don't get an error.  It just kind of
hangs there with no prompt until I ^C it.

Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?  How can I determine
what is causing the remote connection problem.

Thank you.
Dean R.