Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup performance -- slow operation on i

From: Derek Atkins
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup performance -- slow operation on initial backup?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 08:31:58 -0400

Hi,

You are right that it doesn't seem like rdiff-backup alone is the issue;
but to me it sounds like part of the issue is librsync.

>From my original email, I'm getting a good 5 MB/s using raw scp.  But I'm
only seeing 1-2MB/s using rsync and/or rdiff-backup.  So there is clearly
overhead with these two protocols over raw ssh/scp.

Of course scp is still being a bottleneck (compared to 20MB/s capability
on the back-end).  But even if I could get rsync/rdiff-backup up to the
scp-capability of 5MB/s that would help.

I'll take a look at hpn-ssh, but building that for all targets might be a
major PITA.  I might also look at alternate ciphers.

Thanks,

-derek