[rdiff-backup-users] restore from backup: can files be deleted again, wh

From: Marco Moller
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] restore from backup: can files be deleted again, which didn't exist back in time?
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 09:47:46 +0000

Hello,
I would like to use rdiff-backup to create a system restore point, in order to
have a backup from which I could recover a previous system state after maybe
having problems with an "apt-get upgrade" or my own stupid system changes. I
understand how the incremental backup will be done, and how I could recover to
any older state of a file, or restoring a file which meanwhile became lost in
my computer. But I do not understand from the documentation how rdiff-backup
treats the situation in which a file did not exist back in time and a system
restoration is requested for rebuilding my system state as it was back in time.

1) Will rdiff-backup recognize that a meanwhile present file wasn't present
back in time and thus delete the meanwhile present file, so that the restore
does not just merge the files from the backup with the present files?

2) Just for curiosity, if rdiff-backup would take care of the "not only merge"
situation and would properly delete the newly appeared files again, where does
rdiff-backup store the information about the files which maybe would have to be
deleted?

Thanks a lot in advance! The proper answer could also be added to the
rdiff-backup documentation, by the way.
Talby.