[rdiff-backup-users] Missing files from backup

From: Thomas Witzel
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Missing files from backup
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 12:14:07 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I hope this is not duplicate from a previous issue, but I couldn't find my exact scenario.

I'm using rdiff-backup 1.2.8 on an unbuntu machine and everything is working great except that for one of my nightly backups 43 of 9101 files are always missing. If there was no changes my statistics looks like this:

StartTime 1401379711.00 (Thu May 29 12:08:31 2014)
EndTime 1401379724.83 (Thu May 29 12:08:44 2014)
ElapsedTime 13.83 (13.83 seconds)
SourceFiles 9101
SourceFileSize 335423184 (320 MB)
MirrorFiles 9101
MirrorFileSize 335423184 (320 MB)
NewFiles 0
NewFileSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeletedFiles 0
DeletedFileSize 0 (0 bytes)
ChangedFiles 43
ChangedSourceSize 0 (0 bytes)
ChangedMirrorSize 0 (0 bytes)
IncrementFiles 43
IncrementFileSize 0 (0 bytes)
TotalDestinationSizeChange 0 (0 bytes)
Errors 0

So there is always 43 IncrementFiles, but those files are missing from the backup and for those 43 files I get messages lile this:

UpdateError xxx.txt Updated mirror temp file /xxxx/rdiff-backup.tmp.77 does not
match source

I have no idea what mismatch this is referring too. I can manually copy the source to rdiff-backup.tmp.77 and with no tools at my disposal can I find a difference. I also can't see whats different about those 43 files from the other 9000, they are all very similar with similar names. Of the 43 affected files the most recent change occured 9 months ago in one of them, so its not that they changed during the backup. How do I go about debugging this ?

Thank you,
Thomas Witzel

dispose of the e-mail.