Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ignore file access error

From: Martin Mazur
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] ignore file access error
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 22:24:31 +0100

Am 2014-03-14 14:03, schrieb Chris Wilson:
Hi all,

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014, Dominic Raferd wrote:
On 13/03/2014 20:23, Martin Mazur wrote:
for a few weeks I am using rdiff-backup and I am very happy with it.

  From time to time Cron is sending me errors like this:
UpdateError website/logs/ssl_access.log Updated mirror temp file
/var/data/backup/www/website/logs/rdiff-backup.tmp.213 does not match
source
Since there is not much I can do about this error I don't wont it to be
displayed. Is there a way of doing this?

As Dominic (and Ben Escoto) said, the best way to actually fix this
is to backup from LVM snapshots or xfs freeze. Other workarounds
include:

* exclude files from your backup that change often,

* or make an unchanging copy somewhere for backup (mysqlhotcopy etc.),

* live with the fact that they will sometimes/often/never be backed up.

Personally I hide these errors by piping the output of rdiff-backup
into grep:

        rdiff-backup \
                --exclude-device-files \
                source dest \
                2>&1 | grep -v "^UpdateError .* Updated mirror temp
file .* does not match source"

(the grep expression should be all on one line, not wrapped by my
email client).

You can filter out more specific patterns, such as /var/log, so that
you don't get caught out when your important documents and virtual
machine images aren't backed up because your applications are
modifying them all the time.

Cheers, Chris.

Thanks everyone for your answer. I thought the error is about a files being updated during backup. Chris approach to grep is very nice and will fit my needs. It's just log files and they can be backup up after rotating.

Best regards

Martin

--
Martin Mazur