Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup destination on exFAT?

From: Ronny Standtke
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup destination on exFAT?
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 09:12:42 +0100

> Have you tried the --no-acls option? There's also one called --no-eas.

I did but, unfortunately, this didn't change anything. rdiff-backup
still crashes with the same exception.

It looks like rdiff-backup runs into a failed assertion ("assert not
upper_a.lstat()") while checking the exFAT destination in
fs_abilities.py in "set_case_sensitive_readwrite" because exFAT has
strange file name case-sensitivity:
The file names are created "case-preserving" (i.e. you can create a file
"Test.txt" and it will show up like this with lower and upper case
letters) but at the same time exFAT is also case-insensitive: when you
already have a file "Test.txt" you can not create another file
"test.txt", for exFAT they are both identical.
I just wonder why rdiff-backup does not crash with the same exception
when using a destination on FAT32, as far as I know it has the same
properties regarding file name cases...

Cheers

Ronny