[rdiff-backup-users] SpecialFileError...AF_UNIX path too long

From: Thomas H. George
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] SpecialFileError...AF_UNIX path too long
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 14:39:45 -0400

An attempt to backup my desktop failed with the message:

SpecialFileError /home/tom/.cache/keyring-Jw0E3d/control Socket error: AF_UNIX path too long

Reading up on keyrings I learned that Gnome uses a keyring file to encode and protect user passwords. I assume that is what this is. I had stopped gdm3 before starting the backup as an earlier attempted backup failed with messages regarding changes in my email files. To avoid that problem I closed my email client and shutdown gdm3 to close the desktop on which it runs. After the latest backup attempt failed I restarted gdm3 and found the .cache directory no longer contains keyring-Jw0Ed but instead a new directory keyring-Vi8Gy2.

If my understanding is correct there is no need to backup keyring-????? as stopping and restarting gdm3 will recreate it.

Any comments or experience with this problem?