[rdiff-backup-users] Newbie Problems

From: Thomas H. George
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Newbie Problems
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 16:42:16 -0400

Three tries at backing up the root directory failed, each time ending with a lost connection message.

The first two failures were to backup the entire desktop excluding /proc (167 Bb). The third excluded two large directories, /data (116 Gb) and /storage (18 Gb), as well as /proc.

Next I tried backing up just /storage and this may have succeeded. After running for some time the root prompt reappeared, no messages, no statistics. No rdiff-backup log in /var/log. No session_statistic file that I can find.

All of the backup tries installed files in the mirror directories, /bkup/desktop and /bkup/storage.

System description:
   Desktop with Debian Wheezy operating system. rdiff-backup 1.2.8-7 amd64
RaspberryPi with Wheezy-Raspbrian operating system, usb 1 Tb hard drive, rdiff-backup 1.2.8-7 armhf

Any advice as to what might cause the desktop backup to fail? Why no log file and no session_statistics?

Tom