Re: [rdiff-backup-users] repair destination question

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] repair destination question
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 10:39:26 +0100

If you are carrying out the repair using --check-destination-dir then I don't think it will need access to the source directory. All it does is to roll back the repository to the previous (presumably consistent) backup point and discard the more recent (inconsistent) data.

If however the repair is proceeding automatically because you are running a backup session and rdiff-backup has found a previously-failed backup, then I think you could (if you must) work on the source data while the repair process is under way. But once the repair is complete rdiff-backup will immediately proceed to make a new backup from the source directory - and from this point until completion it would be better if the source is static.

For the source directory snapshots using LVM (Linux) or VSS (Windows) can be your friends here.

Dominic
--
*TimeDicer* <http://www.timedicer.co.uk>: Free File Recovery from Whenever