[rdiff-backup-users] What are the bottlenecks in --verify? (Or how to sp

From: Thomas Harold
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] What are the bottlenecks in --verify? (Or how to speed up verification?)
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 23:12:41 -0400

What are some options for speeding up the verification of past increments?

My guess is that the CPU might be a bottleneck for the SHA1 hash calculation, so that's something I would check first.

But how does the verify process work? Does it reconstruct the file in memory, or does it use a temporary directory?

It seems like if I don't have TMP, TMPDIR, or TEMP defined as environment variables, it is operating system dependent on where Python creates the temporary file. Or unless I pass the --tempdir option to rdiff-backup.

http://docs.python.org/2/library/tempfile.html

And if the --verify or --verify-at-time options create lots of temporary files, and write/read lots of data to the temporary directory, then I should probably move that directory to a separate set of spindles.