Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Encrypted backups

From: Randy Kramer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Encrypted backups
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 18:37:01 -0400

IIUC, Stavros wrote:
> > I would like a solution that will take incremental, remote backups.
> > Basically, what I want is exactly rdiff-backup + EncFS, but, for various
> > reasons, EncFS cannot be hacked to support rdiff-backup.
> >
> > Therefore, I would like to add encryption support to rdiff-backup
> > myself. This would encrypt each file/directory separately (including
> > filenames). An ideal place to put this would be a hook at the place
> > where rdiff-backup reads/writes local files (as remote files still need
> > to be rsynced encrypted).

My "knowledge" is probably out-of-date, but last time I thought I knew
something, incremental backup of encrypted files / directories seemed to be a
hard problem because changing, for example, one bit in a file could change
much or even all of the file after encryption.

Is there something that has been done to deal with that problem?

(OTOH, I may be mis-remembering something.)