Re: [rdiff-backup-users] File ownership on a portable drive

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] File ownership on a portable drive
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 08:08:02 -0600

On 12/04/2012 05:44 PM, Grant wrote:
 >> > All the owner and group IDs (both the names and the numeric IDs) are
 >> > kept in the mirror_metadata files.  By default, rdiff-backup will try to
 >> > restore to the same owner and group _names_.  You can use the
 >> > "--preserve-numerical-ids" option to restore to the same numeric
 >> > UIDs/GIDs.
 >>
 >> That's great.  Does the same sort of thing apply to file permissions?  If
so, I
 >> can mangle owners, groups, and permissions as badly as I want and they'll
still
 >> be perfectly preserved when I restore?
 >

 > Any writing to the mirror other than by rdiff-backup itself is highly
 > discouraged, but all of the metadata (ownership, permissions, ACLs, ...)
 > is stored separately from the mirror and should restore correctly. All
 > bets are off, though, if you add, delete, or change the contents of any
 > file there.

Can I have the correct ownership and permissions re-applied to the mirror?

I don't know of any simple way to do that, unless you consider writing a
script to parse the current mirror_metadata file and apply the permissions
as "simple".  Those permissions aren't really significant except when you
are copying files directly from the mirror rather than using rdiff-backup
to do the restore.  The repository can, after all, reside on file systems
not compatible with Unix ownership/permissions (with varying degrees of
success, alas).

                Do NOT delete it.