Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup logging in through sshd several ti

From: Maarten Bezemer
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup logging in through sshd several times
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 15:35:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012, weloki wrote:

Perhaps the specifics of what I'm doing would give clues...
I set up a regular user's account for rdiff-backup on my backup server as
well as a directory where I save the backed up files to. That directory has
permissions for only rdiff-backup user and group (chmod -R
rdiff-backup:rdiff-backup /dirname).

I assume you used chown, and not chmod?

On the servers that I want to be backed
up I also created a user account for rdiff-backup, and in addition to the
entry in /etc/sudoers, in the file at
/rdiff-backup_home/.ssh/authorized_keys I put this on one line:

command="sudo rdiff-backup --server --restrict-read-only
/",from="backup_server_IP_address",no-port-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-pty
ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1<...long SSH public key here...> ==
address@hidden

So would each command rdiff-backup issues on the remote hosts require a
separate SSH login session?

I use a restricted key in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys for this, not a normal user account, but that shouldn't make much of a difference.

As far as I know, only one ssh connection is made for each run of rdiff-backup. In fact, I tried fiddling around with firewall settings and the only thing I can get out of it, is rdiff-backup throwing exceptions when the ssh link breaks. It doesn't restart the ssh link.

So, if you see numerous ssh connections from backup host to primary server, that has to be either because you run rdiff-backup multiple times (for example, in a script using a for loop?) or some other process is trying to log into the primary server from the backup host.

HTH,
Maarten