Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup changes .gz files

From: Arno Wagner
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup changes .gz files
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 19:35:29 +0200

Hi,

I found a bit more time and found also some .pm files
with the same issue. Looking into the files though,
I have a suspicion, namely that for some reason these
files were changed by a Debian update, that then did
set the same original metadata after installing new
files. The suspicion comes from the differences being date
format changes only, no corruption at all.

So new question: Is there a way to make rdiff-backup
actually do a checksum comparison for exisitng files in
order to determine what to backup? I know, that would
be significantly slower, but as least on Debian system
partitions, a metadata comparison is obviously not
enough. As a substitute, can I force rdiff-backup
to backup specific files even if the metadata
is the same?

Regards,
Arno