Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup fails, no gzipped file

From: Dominic Raferd
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] rdiff-backup fails, no gzipped file
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 16:09:25 +0000

On 07/12/2010 14:42, ~D wrote:
On 12/07/2010 03:26 PM, D. Kriesel wrote:
Do you prevent a shutdown or reboot when rdiff-backup is running? How?

Since rdiff-backup does not like backup interruptions (and therefore is not
usable on slow or unreliable connections) I rdiff to a local repository on the
server (the server usually doesn't reboot) and rsync the entire repository to
the remote destination.

My backup only runs when there is a internet connection. I use my laptop
at home most of the time. I have to find a way to check wether
rdiff-backup is running and to reboot after it shutdown. I can use htop
of course, but I am not sure if rdiff-backup is runnin also local on my
laptop or only on my server.

Maybe there is a more advanced way to do this?
You can test for running rdiff-backup locally thus:

[ -n "`ps -o pid --no-heading -C rdiff-backup`" ] && echo "running" || echo "not running"

and you can query remote server thus:

[ -n "`ssh address@hidden "ps -o pid --no-heading -C rdiff-backup" 2>/dev/null`" ] && echo "running" || echo "not running"