AW: AW: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff backup still chokes if read-only file

From: D. Kriesel
Subject: AW: AW: [rdiff-backup-users] Rdiff backup still chokes if read-only files are found at target
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:18:42 +0100

> Following your posting, I have tested the behaviour of our system
> backing up read-only folders and files with rdiff-backup, and it works
> correctly, even when the read-only files change. We are backing up from
> Windows machines but to a Linux server (using TimeDicer as wrapper for
> rdiff-backup), I suspect this is where your problem lies.
>
> So a possible solution is to move your backup repository to a Linux
> server, this could even be a VM hosted on your Windows machine.

Dominic,

thank you so far! I think setting up a linux server might be a solution, and
will consider this, yes. We need a running backup and if this is the way to
do, we need to do it. Moreover, I did not know timedicer so far. Reading the
TODO list that includes a GUI, I suggest you to have a look on
http://www.nongnu.org/jbackpack/ - this is a nice gui for RDIFF
repositories.

 However, this does not solve the issue within rdiff-backup. Even though I
could just install a linux machine, for many users this will not be an
option....

Greetz from Bonn,
David