Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Daemon VS ssh

From: Dimi Paun
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Daemon VS ssh
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:39:39 -0500

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 12:14 +0100, Valerio Pachera wrote:
> 2010/11/25 Jacob Anawalt <address@hidden>:
> > Look into the remote-schema option, search around for rdiff-backup and
> > netcat, and there are ssh cipher options.
>
> I found an article
> http://osdir.com/ml/sysutils.backup.rdiff-backup.general/2006-02/msg00088.html
> I read about --remote.schema but, honestly, I didn't digested it so well.
>
> Could you please tell me if in the point 2 of the article, ssh is
> involved or not?
>
> Most of all, I'm wondering if there's an easy way to have a central
> backup server that contact windows and linux clients to back up their
> data.

Well, did you look at SafeKeep?
    http://safekeep.sourceforge.net/

It's based on a central server that contacts linux clients to backup
the data. It automatically handles LVM snapshots, DB dumps (for MySQL
and Postgresql), uses nice(1) and ionice(1) to avoid overloading the
clients and the server, and does everything over ssh for security.

One drawback is that it doesn't currently work for Windows clients,
but there's nothing in the design preventing it to do so.

--
Dimi Paun <address@hidden>
Lattica, Inc.