Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Suggested fs for placing rdiff-backup data stor

From: Gavin
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Suggested fs for placing rdiff-backup data stores
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 14:09:05 +1000

Nice work Alex.
Although I'm not sure why you are backing up several apparently standard Debian kernels.
If you just backup the /boot/grub dir and have the apt package list the system can be re-installed
to the exact same state with a much smaller backup.

Cheers
Gavin

Alex Samad wrote:
Hi

thought I would break this off the original thread

just to give you some example info on fusecompress datastore

max:/backups/nas/system/boot# du --apparent-size -s --si *
1.3M    System.map-2.6.26-1-amd64
1.6M    System.map-2.6.30-2-amd64
1.6M    System.map-2.6.31-1-amd64
86k     config-2.6.26-1-amd64
99k     config-2.6.30-2-amd64
102k    config-2.6.31-1-amd64
4.0M    grub
8.4M    initrd.img-2.6.26-1-amd64
7.8M    initrd.img-2.6.26-1-amd64.bak
9.8M    initrd.img-2.6.30-2-amd64
9.8M    initrd.img-2.6.30-2-amd64.bak
11M     initrd.img-2.6.31-1-amd64
11M     initrd.img-2.6.31-1-amd64.bak
1.8M    vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64
2.3M    vmlinuz-2.6.30-2-amd64
2.5M    vmlinuz-2.6.31-1-amd64
max:/backups/nas/system/boot# du  -s --si *
238k    System.map-2.6.26-1-amd64
291k    System.map-2.6.30-2-amd64
308k    System.map-2.6.31-1-amd64
25k     config-2.6.26-1-amd64
25k     config-2.6.30-2-amd64
25k     config-2.6.31-1-amd64
1.8M    grub
8.4M    initrd.img-2.6.26-1-amd64
7.8M    initrd.img-2.6.26-1-amd64.bak
9.8M    initrd.img-2.6.30-2-amd64
9.8M    initrd.img-2.6.30-2-amd64.bak
11M     initrd.img-2.6.31-1-amd64
11M     initrd.img-2.6.31-1-amd64.bak
1.8M    vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-amd64
2.3M    vmlinuz-2.6.30-2-amd64
2.5M    vmlinuz-2.6.31-1-amd64

so my primary partition is /backups/.nas and then fuse mounts to /backups/nas/  this is looking at /boot directory for an example. Overall using du I have 1.3 compressed compared to 3.1 uncompressed

du --apparent-size -s --si .nas nas
1.3G    .nas
3.1G    nas

du  -s --si .nas nas