Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Techniques for trimming the sizes of backups

From: Alex Samad
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Techniques for trimming the sizes of backups
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:45:25 +1100

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 03:05:14PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 06:44:46AM +1100, Alex Samad wrote:
> > > I'm experimenting with LessFS. It's another fuse-based filesystem, and in
> > > addition to compressing blocks, it checksums each block and only stores
> > > identical blocks once -- "de-duplication". This seems like a particular
> > > win
> > > with rdiff-backup, because of the problem with handling of renamed files.
> > thats nice.... what compression tec does it use
>
> Read about it yourself here: http://www.lessfs.com/wordpress/?page_id=50
>
> In short, it uses a 192-bit hash function (happens to be Tiger) to uniquely
> identify each block, and then compresses each block with LZO or QUICKLZ.

had a quick read of the web site, just wondering how effective it would
be with something like rdiff-backup - my line of thinking is that rd
stores the differences, so I would guess all the original files would
benefit, but the differences wouldn't

Also with fusecompress you can specify by mime type which files pass
through ie don't get affected by fusecompress.

I will have to investigate a bit more, run some tests

--
"America stands for liberty, for the pursuit of happiness, and for the
unalienalienable right of life."

        - George W. Bush
11/03/2003
Washington, DC