[rdiff-backup-users] Excluding directories for restore

From: Dominik Sandjaja
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Excluding directories for restore
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 13:09:17 +0100

Hi,

I have a setup of a server being backed up regularly over a DSL line to
my server at home.
After quite a bad crash I am in the process of restoring the data. There
are some huge directories which I am now stuck a little. For those who
don't know DSL: Here in Germany it's usually a high download speed, e.g.
6 Mbit/s and a slow upload speed, 300 kbit/s in my case. In addition,
the ip is changed once every day, which results in a disconnect.
Now I want to restore the big directories step by step. For that, I
tried to restore like
rdiff-backup -r 02-02-2010
--exclude /var/customers/web1 /home/backup/var/customers
server::/var/customers
but the directory /var/customers/web1 gets restored anyway. An option of
--exclude /home/backup/var/customers/web1 gives an "invalid path
specification" (or something like that) error.
Also, doing it the other way around, first restoring /var/customers/web1
and then /var/customers does not work as the web1 subdirectory gets
restored again (which is exactly what I'd like to prevent.

Is there any way to exclude certain directories from being restored?

Thanks
Dominik

--
Dominik Sandjaja, Ahornweg 9, 47877 Willich, Germany

email: address@hidden, Jabber: address@hidden, ICQ: 35692530
GPG: 0x1C1DCFF6, web: http://dadadom.de, mobile: +49(0)177 2163314