Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Allowing only rdiff-backup across a connection,

From: Gavin
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Allowing only rdiff-backup across a connection, how to set up?
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 06:31:59 +1000

Hi Chris,

Sounds like you are on the right track.
ForceCommand may work, try it, some more thoughts bellow.

If you need more, I have an svnuser which allows multiple svnusers to
connect with keys.

Create a new user just for this one task.
You can have multiple keys with this method hence multiple clients.

Place (all on one line) something like this in
/home/svnuser/.ssh/authorized_keys:
command="svnserve -t -r /var/svnrepos/
--tunnel-user=svnuser",no-port-forwarding,no-agent-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-pty
ssh-dss KEY1
command="svnserve -t -r /var/svnrepos/
--tunnel-user=svnuser",no-port-forwarding,no-agent-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-pty
ssh-dss KEY2

In /etc/passwd limit the new user:
svnuser:x:1001:1001:,,,:/home/svnuser:/bin/rbash

mkdir /home/svnuser/usr/bin/
ln -s /usr/bin/rdiff-backup /home/svnuser/usr/bin/rdiff-backup

Check permissions:
ls -al /home/svnuser/.ssh/
total 12
drwx------ 2 svnuser svnuser 4096 2009-05-27 21:17 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 svnuser svnuser 4096 2009-06-06 00:18 ..
-rw-r----- 1 root    svnuser 2916 2009-08-09 16:35 authorized_keys
-rw-rw---- 1 svnuser svnuser    0 2009-03-19 21:41 known_hosts

Now that should be a very restricted user unless I have forgotten
something :-)

Cheers
Gavin