Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Will these errors clear on the next pass?

From: Daniel Miller
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Will these errors clear on the next pass?
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 08:24:54 -0400

On Aug 31, 2009, at 6:43 AM, Chris G wrote:

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 02:54:57PM +0100, Chris G wrote:
On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 01:08:22PM +0200, Andreas Olsson wrote:
On Sunday 30 August 2009 12:52:49 Chris G wrote:
I had an interrupted backup which resulted in the following errors:-

----- Forwarded message from Anacron <address@hidden> -----

/etc/cron.daily/backup:
UpdateError nfs/rpc_pipefs/nfs/clnt6/info Updated mirror temp file
/bak/var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs/nfs/clnt6/rdiff-backup.tmp.52 does not match source UpdateError nfs/rpc_pipefs/nfs/clnt7/info Updated mirror temp file /bak/var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs/nfs/clnt7/rdiff-backup.tmp.53 does not match source UpdateError nfs/rpc_pipefs/nfs/clnt8/info Updated mirror temp file /bak/var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs/nfs/clnt8/rdiff-backup.tmp.54 does not match
source

----- End forwarded message -----

Will these clear up on the next pass? If not how does one deal with them?

Looks very much like http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/ UpdateErrorOne

<snip>

... and it doesn't go away by itself, I have *exactly* the same errors today.

No, it probably won't go away by itself. I get the same type of error on the same (high activity) log file every single day. The link that Andreas sent has an explanation of the issue and some potential work- arounds.

I personally think rdiff-backup should have an option that you could specify "files in directory X should be backed up even if they change during the backup". It would be cleaner than the other two "simple" solutions mentioned on the wiki.

~ Daniel