[rdiff-backup-users] (almost) real time rdiff

From: Adrian-Bogdan Andreias
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] (almost) real time rdiff
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 01:19:35 +0300

Hello,

I'm trying to do (almost) real time rdiff-backup by using inotify kernel API. More specific, (a modified version of) lsyncd.

For this I think would need:

- rdiff-backup on single file. Since I have the modified files list, there no point for rdiff to scan directories and do check sums compare and all in order to find out which files have modified. I'm surprised this is not implemented in rdiff. Is there an architecture reason for this? Are there any intentions to implement this?

- have rdiff as binary executable and not as Python script. Since I intend to run every cycle at every X minutes (or even seconds if server is not loaded), there's no point in having the python interpreter overhead. From what I've read, can you please confirm that it's possible to compile rdiff-backup as machine code.

- disable compression encryption and any possible overhead on rdiff-backup (will be used on a private link).

What do you think about this process? Is this good idea? :)

Thank you