Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Building Native Windows Version

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Building Native Windows Version
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:17:18 -0500

On Jan 19, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Austin Roberts wrote:
Because of some issues I've been having (discussed in another thread), I've made a few changes to the rdiff-backup source, and I'm trying to build it for windows.

I have installed the Visual C++ 2008 redistributable, and the Python for Windows Extensions, but I get an error:

building 'rdiff_backup.C' extension
error: None

Is there anything else I need to have installed?

Yup.

You need a C compiler, Visual C++ Express Edition 2008 (free):
http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/

If you got Python for Windows Extensions installed, then I assume you have already installed Python for Windows, but if not: http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.1/

To make a single executable, you will need py2exe: http://www.py2exe.org

Finally, you either need to build librsync for Windows, or (much easier) you should use the Windows build script written by Josh Nisly. To use the script, open a Visual Studio 2008 Command Prompt, then do something like: python C:\path-to-script\build_rdiff_backup.py (you need the complete path) .... currently, the build script can clobber your changes if you're not paying attention, so you'll need to edit it by hand if you're doing development. I suppose that's part of why I haven't put it under CVS control yet, but that's a lame excuse. :-/

If you use the build script, then it will automatically patch librsync to support files > 4gb, however, to do the patching, you will need the patch utility: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/patch.htm

(Optional) If you want to develop against CVS, then you need CVS for Windows, so the build script can automatically download the CVS HEAD: http://www.cvsnt.org

After installing patch, you will need to manually add the location to your PATH. The best way to do that is by using the Environment Variables control, which can be found by right-clicking My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced.

thanks for building from source!
Andrew