[rdiff-backup-users] Re: Testsuite for Mac OS X backup systems

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] Re: Testsuite for Mac OS X backup systems
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 21:05:40 -0500

On Jan 11, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Oliver Mulatz wrote:
Hi Andrew,

most probably you already know of this Mac OS X
backup system testing suite, but just in case you don't:

http://slagwerks.com/blog/index.php/tag/backup/
http://www.n8gray.org/code/backup-bouncer/

Hi Oliver,

Yes, rdiff-backup does quite well on that suite. I have also worked with the author to add new tests, based on capabilities which rdiff- backup has and it didn't test (Unicode filenames, and permissions on symbolic links).

thanks,
Andrew

For those who are curious about the details:

- Rdiff-backup was at version 1.2.1 when the test suite was released. That version passed everything except the following: extended attributes on symbolic links, the busy (Z) Finder attribute on folders, BSD filesystem flags, and Mac OS X ACLs.

- Version 1.2.2 added support for extended attributes on symbolic links, and fixed the support for the busy attribute.

- The ability to backup BSD filesystem flags will be added during the new development branch. I have been testing it in my environment for a year, but have not included it in the stable release because Python lacked an easy way to test whether the OS supported filesystem flags (my patch also adds support for Linux filesystem flags, and converting between the two kinds).

- Supporting Mac OS X ACLs will require a new Python library, similar to the POSIX and Windows ACL libraries. Mac ACLs, although they use the POSIX API, are closer to Windows ACLs in nature, so they're their own hybrid implementation, requiring their own (non-existent) Python library.

- Native Mac software has access to a system call which copies everything properly. Because one of rdiff-backup's main features is OS- independent networked backup, we cannot use that system call, and have to implement copy code for each piece of OS or FS metadata.