[rdiff-backup-users] -b option?

From: Thanos Diacakis
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] -b option?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:59:09 -0800

Hi there,

I would like to do a backup of a backup. (My laptop backs up to my desktop, and then my desktop backs up the laptop backup plus its own content to an offsite server.)

The first part (laptop -> desktop) works fine with rdiff-backup. The second part (desktop -> offsite) is not quite there yet:

I figured if I exclude the rdiff-backup-data folder, then rdiff-backup will not even know the data it happens to be backing up is a backup itself and the whole thing would work like a charm. However I was getting a bunch of errors - seemingly it was not ignoring the rdiff- backup-data folder.

I saw in the man page the -b option, and that seems to be in the right direction, but the man page does not elaborate, and I could not find anything anywhere else. It seems that it may be doing what I think it is doing, but I am not quite sure.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to do this and/or any more details on -b ?

Thanks

Thanos