Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error on remote restore (1.2.3)

From: Andrew Ferguson
Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Error on remote restore (1.2.3)
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 09:28:26 -0500

On Jan 7, 2009, at 3:29 AM, Dominic wrote:

Andrew Ferguson wrote:

On Jan 5, 2009, at 6:06 AM, Dominic wrote:

... but I do get an error with rdiff-backup 1.2.4 when running from a *Windows* client (to Linux-based rdiff-backup server) thus:
C:\>rdiff-backup -r 0D address@hidden::archives/mydocs/myfile.docx myfile.docx
I will release 1.2.5 shortly so that we see better error messages. After that, feel free to try again, and we can see what went wrong.
Hi Andrew

When I run it with 1.2.5 I get the error message below, I hope this helps you some more (note that despite the message, the file 'archives/mydocs/meetings.docx' does exist in the archive).

Dominic
C:\>rdiff-backup -r 0D address@hidden:
:archives/mydocs/meetings.docx meetings.docx
Exception '[Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified' raised of class
'<type 'exceptions.WindowsError'>':
  File "rdiff_backup\Main.pyc", line 304, in error_check_Main
  File "rdiff_backup\Main.pyc", line 321, in Main
  File "rdiff_backup\SetConnections.pyc", line 76, in cmdpair2rp
  File "rdiff_backup\SetConnections.pyc", line 139, in init_connection
  File "subprocess.pyc", line 595, in __init__
  File "subprocess.pyc", line 821, in _execute_child

Hi Dominic,

Yes, this is helpful. It looks to me like you do not have SSH installed in your %PATH% on your Windows box.

At that point, rdiff-backup is trying to run this command:

"ssh -C 192.168.100.125 rdiff-backup --server"

and failing. If you open a DOS prompt and type that command, and it works, then something is strange. It looks like you need the --remote-schema option. This wiki page discusses using plink.exe as the SSH replacement on Windows: http://wiki.rdiff-backup.org/wiki/index.php/BackupFromWindowsToLinux

Admittedly, the error message could be much better. :-)

Andrew